July 14, 2020
Greeting GMS Staff and Families,
This afternoon, Governor Cooper shared that schools in the state will reopen next month with a mix of in-person classes and remote learning. In addition, North Carolina will remain paused in Phase 2 of its reopening strategy for three additional weeks, extending the restrictions currently in place through August 7, 2020. It is felt that "Easing restrictions now to allow more high-transmission activities could cause a spike that would threaten our ability to open schools.
The Plan for North Carolina's schools reopening calls for moderate social distancing, meaning:
- Face coverings will be required for all teachers, staff and students. The state will provide at least five reusable masks per student and staff member.
- The number of people in buildings and on buses will be limited, and nonessential activities will be restricted.
- Teachers must limit the sharing of materials, and schedules must accommodate time for adequate hand-washing as well as cleaning in classroom and other spaces.
- Districts and schools must plan for social distancing in a way that works for them, with possible scenarios including rotating days.
- Individual districts may opt to go with another plan, which means all remote learning.
We want us to ensure that students and staff who want to safely return to in-person learning, have that opportunity while schools also provide high-quality alternatives for students who may not yet feel comfortable returning to classrooms. GMS students, staff, and families must all work together to support our school programs the best we can. Our school, with the guidance of state health leaders and with input from our staff and parents, should determine the capacity and safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible, as the medical professionals, educators and stakeholders suggest.
Therefore, we plan to follow the 2020 – 2021 GMS School Calendar with services for students on August 17, 2020, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Please be on the look-out for additional information including Registration Procedures.
Thank-You & Stay Safe!