Dear Students, Staff, and Families,
I hope that this communication finds you doing well! The Governor Morehead School is preparing for a smooth registration and 2021 – 2022 school opening. We are preparing for five days of in-person weekly instruction while following critical health and safety guidelines. Registration will be held on Sunday, August 15, 2021, so please complete all paperwork prior to returning your child to campus. Classes will begin on August 16, 2021, with safe in-person learning at GMS remaining our daily objective. Successful accomplishment of this goal will undoubtedly continue to evolve throughout the next weeks and months.
What we currently know about the fall:
- Mitigation strategies will be directed by the Strong School NC Public Health Toolkit (See GMS website: www.governormorehead.net).
- Safety measures will be incorporated throughout the school schedule including on campus, in the community, and transportation.
- All buildings including classrooms, cottages, and the dining hall have outlined specific Safety Procedures.
- Resuming athletics & community-based activities will be determined on a case-by-case basis dependent on the appropriate data.
- Working to continue social-emotional support that responds to the impacts of COVID-19 by establishing routines and services to assist students as we continue operations.
- Learning during the day and evening will continue to focus on skill development and academic growth through Individual Education Plans (IEPs), coursework and programmatic goals and objectives, and independence through the Expanded Core Curriculum.
- Encouraging COVID-19 vaccination and testing of all eligible students and staff while collecting voluntary vaccination verification.
As has been the case throughout this pandemic, mitigation strategies could change as health recommendations and metrics evolve. As plans evolve, there will be individual communications to you, and the Governor Morehead School Website and Facebook Page will be updated. We are fortunate to live in a highly vaccinated community that is committed to each other. All that we have learned will continue to serve us well, and we will reach the end of this pandemic together. Although we are not there yet, what we have already overcome demonstrates our resiliency.
Barbria Bacon, Director
Governor Morehead School